|Purchasing Agent 1.0 FTE||57|
The Niskayuna Central School District has an anticipated opening and is now accepting applications for a Purchasing Agent in the District Office.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This position exists in the school districts and involves responsibility for purchasing and inventory control. The incumbent must exercise careful judgment, since erroneous decisions may result in the loss of large sums of money. The work is performed under general supervision of a higher level supervisor with leeway allowed for the exercise of independent judgment in carrying out details of the work. General supervision is exercised over the work of support personnel. The incumbent does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Interviews sales representatives and vendors and coordinates demonstrations to determine needs and prices for department heads;
- Establishes calendar of purchasing activities to assure timely ordering and delivery of goods and services;
- Solicits quotations and bids for supplies, materials, equipment and services;
- Writes specifications based on requests for supplies, services and equipment and consult with users to assure correct vendor delivery of bid and non-bid items;
- Keeps records, makes reports and conducts correspondence regarding bids, requisitions, cancellations of orders, price changes and adjustments;
- Determines needs for formal bidding, purchases through state contracts, sources exempt form bidding law and those obtainable by direct purchase;
- Makes recommendations to the upper level administrators for changes or improvements in purchasing and inventory control procedures;
- Assures conformance with specification by establishing inspection, receipting and reporting procedure for deliveries from vendors;
- Places bid advertising in accordance with law and opens and analyzes bids to determine low bidder conformance to specifications and recommends bid award to board;
- Confers with department heads and their representatives on their inventory and purchasing needs;
- Establishes locations for storage and procedures for distribution control of equipment and supplies;
- Audits fixed assets insurance coverage against appraisals and replacement cost;
- Maintains price lists and catalog files on various supplies and equipment;
- Maintains communication lines with suppliers of plant services and materials to develop current information for decision making on purchasing and product utilization;
- May conduct item cost control and market research as to product availability and pricing;
- Supervises clerical employees engaged in purchasing and inventory control record-keeping activities;
- Prepares a variety of records and reports related to the work;
- Performs a variety of related tasks as required.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Thorough knowledge of market trade conditions, business methods and current purchasing practices and procedures; thorough knowledge of current practices governing the preparation of purchase specifications; thorough knowledge of modern principles and practices of governmental purchasing; ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with department heads and vendors; ability to understand and follow oral and written directions; ability to plan and supervise the work of others; ability to plan and administer an inventory control and purchasing system.
|$50,000 - $65,000 per year|