GENERAL INFORMATION: This is skilled maintenance work involving the responsibility for the operation, maintenance and repair of building heating, ventilating, air conditioning, refrigeration, plumbing, and boiler systems. May perform other maintenance and repair work in connection with buildings, grounds or equipment. Direct supervision is received from a higher level supervisor with some leeway allowed for planning the details of the work. Direct supervision may be exercised over a variety of skilled and non-skilled employees. Does related work as required. The position of Environmental Systems & Facilities Mechanic is a competitive Schenectady County Civil Service position. Candidates must meet Civil Service requirements for appointment. Candidates must currently hold the title of Environmental Systems & Facilities Mechanic or be reachable on the Civil Service list when available. If list is not available, this will be a provisional appointment and the successful candidate must take the SCCSC exam and be reachable.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Repairs and installs various heating and cooling, and refrigeration equipment and systems including, but not limited to, air conditioners, heat pumps, VAV’s, boilers, fan coil units, air handling units, cooling towers, relays, plumbing, and related equipment and electrical systems;
- Remove and replace refrigerant as needed
- Maintains programs and operates HVAC-R control systems;
- Makes recommendations for appropriate operating, repair, maintenance and safety practices for heating, ventilating, air conditioning, refrigeration, plumbing, and boiler equipment and systems;
- Ability to use computer and/or digital software to receive work assignments and complete tasks;
- Keeps an inventory of all tools and materials used;
- Submit for approval orders for all necessary materials;
- Provides cost estimates relating to projects;
- Investigates and resolves complaints concerning heating and ventilating;
- Makes emergency repairs to equipment and takes emergency action in connection with equipment failure to insure reinstatement of serviceability;
- Makes recommendations in the purchase of equipment and supplies;
- Performs work in accordance with appropriate standards;
- May be required to participate in snow and ice control activities, and other grounds, building or equipment maintenance activities;
- May be required to operate a motor vehicle in connection with assignments;
- Performs a variety of related duties as required.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Thorough knowledge of the common practices, tools, terminology, accident precautions and safety procedures of the trade, and of the design, construction, installation, maintenance and repair of HVAC/R systems, plumbing, piping and boiler systems, and related fixtures and equipment;
- Thorough knowledge of the NYS Mechanical Code and a working knowledge of mechanical drawings;
- Ability to work from plans and specifications and to follow rough sketches;
- Ability to comprehend and follow oral instructions;
- Good knowledge of practice, tools and materials used in the maintenance and repair of buildings;
- Ability to act quickly and efficiently in the event of a mechanical failure;
- Ability to understand oral and written directions;
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to use a digital and/or computer application to obtain work assignments and manage workflow;
- Ability to provide directions to a variety of skilled and non-skilled employees;
- Ability to work at heights of at least 45 feet above ground;
- Must be able to lift 75 lbs.
(A) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered two year college or university with an Associate's Degree in Electrical, Mechanical or Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning Technology or a related field plus two (2) years of experience which shall have involved the installation, operation or maintenance of heating, ventilating, air conditioning and refrigeration or boiler equipment, in a commercial or non-residential facility; OR
(B) Graduation from high school or possession of high school equivalency diploma plus four (4) years of experience which shall have involved the installation, operation or maintenance of heating, ventilating, air conditioning and refrigeration or boiler equipment, in a commercial or non-residential facility; OR
(C) Six (6) years of experience which shall have involved the installation, operation or maintenance of heating, ventilating, air conditioning and refrigeration or boiler equipment, in a commercial or non-residential facility; OR
(D) An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A), (B) and (C) above.
- At the time of appointment and throughout tenure of employment, must have and maintain appropriate certifications in either HVAC-R, or boiler maintenance and repair.
- At the time of appointment and throughout the tenure of employment, must have and maintain a valid New York State Motor Vehicle Operator's License.