- Position Title
- Executive Secretary II Assigned as Confidential Secretary to the Director of Human Resources
- Required Application Type
- School Related Personnel
- Salary/Pay Scale
- $40,000 minimum (Based on Experience)
- Job Description
The Niskayuna Central School District is now accepting applications for an Executive Secretary II assigned as Confidential Secretary to the Director of Human Resources.
ASSIGNMENT: 12 months per year; 37.5 hours per week
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This position involves responsibility for performing a variety of complex and confidential secretarial duties and more difficult office assignments for a department head. The incumbent establishes office procedures, implements policies and procedures, resolves day-to-day operational problems and organizes and coordinates the administrative activities in the department. The work involves the exercise of independent judgment in giving out information regarding departmental policies and practices and in planning the routine of an office, this position differs from that of Executive Secretary I by virtue of broader project and/or supervisory responsibilities, independence in carrying out tasks and the size of the department or unit. General supervision is received from the department head. General supervision may be exercised over a variety of clerical employees. The incumbent does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Serves as secretary and office manager to a department head;
- Assists in the development of the department's budget and maintains financial records.
- Assist with the fingerprinting process: schedule appointments and followup with paperwork.
- Assist with the onboarding process for new employees.
- In collaboration with the Director, oversee the Employee Assistance Program.
- Coordinate unemployment claims.
- Develop monthly Human Resources newsletter.
- Supervises and assigns work to subordinate clerical employees;
- Assist with District-wide attendance and make changes as appropriate.
- Assist with annual teacher assignments.
- Assist with health insurance open enrollments for employees and retirees.
- Screens telephone calls to the department head and responds to appropriate inquiries;
- Relieves department head of office detail by making appointments, receiving calls and referring them to the proper persons;
- Answers requests for administrative information and prepares office reports;
- Opens, reviews, sorts and distributes the mail.
- Organizes and coordinates the administrative action in the department, including handling incoming correspondence and drafting responses, and researching background information;
- Organizes, plans and schedules demanding workloads for timely completion;
- Designs and maintains office files;
- Schedules meetings and maintains department head's calendar;
- May operate word processing equipment in the performance of daily tasks;
- Performs a variety of related duties as required.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Thorough knowledge of office terminology, procedures and equipment; thorough knowledge of business arithmetic and English; thorough knowledge of the organization, functions, laws, policies and regulations of the agency; ability to handle office detail independently, including composition of important letters and memorandum; ability to plan and supervise the work of others; ability to understand and carry out complex oral and written directions; ability to operate word processing equipment or a microcomputer; ability to interact in a professional manner with the public regarding various concerns; ability to establish effective working relationships with a variety of people at all levels of the organization; personal integrity necessary to maintain confidentiality pertaining to office matters.
- Civil Service Title
- Executive Secretary II
- Job Qualifications
(a) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered two year college or university with an Associate's Degree in Secretarial Science or a related field and three years of clerical experience; or
(b) Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and five years of clerical experience; or
(c) Seven years of clerical experience; or
(d) An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (a), (b), and (c) above.
Candidates must demonstrate the ability to type at a rate of at least 35 words per minute.
NOTE: The essential functions of this job are determined by the department/jurisdiction where the job is located.
- Application Procedure
NOTE: Selected applicant will be subject to a fingerprint supported criminal history background check in accordance with SAVE Legislation effective July 1, 2001.
The Niskayuna Central School District is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age. Further, the District does not discriminate on the basis of religion or creed (including attire, clothing or facial hair worn as a form of religious observance), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military status, genetic status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, criminal arrest or conviction record, or any other basis prohibited by state or federal nondiscrimination laws.
- Job Category
- Support Staff
- Job Location
- District Office